Read below to learn more or ask questions at one of our Information Briefings, hosted by Field Service Representatives who are Johns Hopkins USFHP members.

Is the US Family Health Plan TRICARE?

Yes, it is a full TRICARE Prime® option. The Department of Defense has contracted with Johns Hopkins as a TRICARE Prime designated provider of the US Family Health Plan in this area. As a member of the Plan, you will receive all the benefits offered by TRICARE Prime, plus the medical expertise of Johns Hopkins Medicine at no extra cost. It has proven to be a winning combination — just ask our members.

Who is eligible for the Johns Hopkins US Family Health Plan?

If you are a TRICARE-eligible active-duty family member, retiree, or a retiree family member, under age 65 and are registered in DEERS to receive military health benefits, you can join today.

Can I stay with USFHP after I turn 65?

Members who joined USFHP before Sept. 30, 2012 can remain with the plan after they turn 65. View our Turning 65 FAQ for more information on how your USFHP coverage continues with Medicare enrollment.

If you joined the plan on or after Oct. 1, 2012, you will be disenrolled automatically. Your TRICARE option will be TRICARE for Life (TFL), and you must enroll in Medicare to maintain your TRICARE eligibility.

What is an Open Season?

Open Season is an annual period when you can enroll in a health insurance plan for the next year. With TRICARE, Open Season will occur each fall, beginning on the Monday of the second full week in November to the Monday of the second full week in December. Find out more about Open Season.

Who provides my care?

As a member of the US Family Health Plan, you can choose your very own personal primary care physician at any one of our locations. For specialty care you can also choose any of our local participating specialists and hospitals, including The Johns Hopkins Hospital.

How do I choose a Primary Care Provider (PCP)?

You can find a PCP through our Provider/ Doctor Directory Search. This search tool allows you access to find a provider by location and provider type. For assistance using the Provider/ Doctor Directory Search, a “Helpful Tips” guide is provided on the page as well.

What if I want to see a specialist?

Talk to your PCP about your needs and request a referral to see a specialist. You will have a choice of seeing a network specialist in your community or selecting any participating world-renowned Johns Hopkins physicians.

How do I get a prescription filled?

Your USFHP member ID card will be your prescription drug card. Just take it to the nearest Walgreens Phar­macy or use our convenient mail order program. When you travel you may use any Walgreens nationwide.

Can I still use military treatment facilities and pharmacies?

No. Since the DoD will be paying the USFHP for all your care, including prescription drugs, you must agree to use the USFHP’s contracted pharmacy, Walgreens, and network providers while enrolled in the Plan — otherwise, the government would be paying twice. If you decide at some point to disenroll, you can resume full use of the military treatment facility, if available.

What about Emergency Care?

Emergency care is covered wherever you are. In the area, out of state, even outside of the country, you’ll have the security of knowing you are covered. Simply obtain the care you need and let us know as soon as possible. Emergencies that do not result in a hospital admission require a $67 copay (for retirees only).

What is Urgent Care?

Non-emergency medical care requiring prompt attention but may not require life-saving care from a hospital emergency room physician. Urgent Care is available after hours, weekends and holidays for minor health concerns, such as but not limited to: ear infections, sprained ankles, rashes, pinkeye, allergic reactions, respiratory infections, and cold, flu, and sinus symptoms.

  • Walk-in primary care – call your PCP before seeking care. Most PCP offices have evening or extended hours.
  • Johns Hopkins OnDemand Virtual Care for no-appointment after-hours telehealth care.

Are all medical services covered?

All TRICARE Prime benefits are covered, but some require prior authorization or have certain restrictions that are listed with the benefits chart.

Where can I find a complete list of covered and non-covered benefits?

The TRICARE manual contains comprehensive information about TRICARE Prime benefits. The manual is available at

Some of my family members need an interpreter when they see a doctor. Can you help?

The Plan provides language and American sign language interpreters for medical appointments when your physician cannot provide this service.

What is care management and how can it help me?

Care management is a free service that provides members with complex or chronic illnesses with ongoing support,
monitoring, and even health coaches to help them understand and better manage their conditions. To speak to someone about this service, call a customer service representative at 410-424-4528 or toll-free 800-808-7347.